It's so funny how life has gone by so fast in some ways and at the same time been going so slowly in other ways. However, I'm having a hard time believing Lyla is two! She's already gotten used to saying "I'm two!" when people ask how old she is, but I'm not even quite used to it yet!
Lyla had her two year check-up at the doctor yesterday, and she's doing great! She's weighing in at 25 lbs. 6 oz. and is 33.25 inches tall. I'm always surprised when I hear that she's only somewhere in the low 30th percentile for height and weight, because she seems so big to me. She's doing great and I was relieved we could have our first doctor's visit in who knows how long with no shots - yes! Lyla did really great, talking to the doctor nonstop and being compliant with what the doctor asked her to do. She even did great with the flu mist, and followed instructions perfectly! As a mom, I'm always very relieved when we can leave a potentially stressful situation with no tears from Lyla. We celebrated her good doctor's trip with a trip to Jamba Juice and lunch at Strizzi's.
I don't even know where to begin on how much Lyla has grown and developed over the last few months. I'll try to capture it all in a list:
- She can sing the entire alphabet song, along with several church songs and a few nursery rhymes with no help from me!
- She can count from one to eleven.
- She's potty trained (or close enough!). It's so great to be able to not buy any more diapers for her anymore, and always a nice proud mom moment when people comment on how young she is to already be using the potty.
- She FINALLY has learned how to jump and get both feet off the ground!
- She loves to books. REALLY loves books. She asks for several book series by name to be read to her, like "Fancy Nancy", "Pinkalicious", "Berenstein Bears", "Olivia", and "Francis". She has started to want to read to us, and is using the pictures on the pages to tell us what she thinks is going on - too cute!
- This kid can talk. Her vocabulary never ceases to impress me. She communicates so well that it makes it really easy to figure out what's on her mind. We've been really blessed with a logically-thinking child. We've been lucky to not have too many meltdowns, and she usually responds well to someone explaining why she should do something (or why she shouldn't). Usually. She always seems to catch us in an "I can't believe she just said that moment!" at least once a week, whether it's an unprompted "You look handsome Daddy", "I'll be right back, Mom", "Me too!", or some other random expression she's picked up, this girl is good at surprising us with what she takes in and spitting it back out in completely appropriate situations.
- She can match things. It's been fun to start trying to play Memory with her - I'll have to keep in mind in the future just how good Lyla's memory and recall can be!
- She is showing more and more interest in doing things like dressing herself and being more independent. I'm finding this to be a double-edged sword, as becoming more independent also means she has some serious opinions on things that we may or may not want her to have an opinion about.
- We gave up pacifiers. We just started after the doctor said it was time. I was bracing myself for the worst, but after one rough nap, she seemed to get the concept that she didn't need them anymore and is doing great now. Thank goodness for an easy adjustment!
- She loves to cook. Most evenings she sees me get out things to make dinner and she will say "Put on my apron. I help". She then lets me set her up on the counter and she asks me questions about the ingredients and loves to help out when possible. I love that she's interested in some of the same things I enjoy doing! It's a great way to spend time together.
- Lyla still LOVES music. She loves to dance, too, but not as much as being able to listen to the music itself. She has favorite songs that she likes to request each time we put on music, and she loves trying to memorize the words. It's fun to hear her little voice trying to sing along from the backseat.
- Lyla is still a great eater. I actually asked the pediatrician if it was okay she ate as much as she did, because this kid can eat her pregnant mom under the table some nights! She's good about not snacking in between meals or even asking for a snack. She loves almost everything she eats, and we've really noticed over the past few months that she's trying foods that she previously used to pass on and has found that she loves the new foods too!
- Dare I say, Lyla is getting to be a tad more cuddly with us. This is the girl who is too squirmy to be cuddled and most nights tells Dustin "Okay Dad, I go bed now" to so he'll put her in the crib and leave her own alone. However, I do hear more and more Lyla saying "Cuddle mom?", which I can't say I've hated. It's nice to be wanted for a snuggle now and again.
- Lyla is still a fantastic sleeper. I'm wary that's going to change as she transitions from her crib to a full-size bed and a new room, but I'm optimistic! Lyla still sleeps about 11-12 hours at night and an hour and a half to two hours during her nap.
- Lyla loves babies, bottles, phones, and bubbles. She has a wide variety of things she loves to play, but these seem to be her go-to activities as of late.
No comments:
Post a Comment