Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hong Kong Quirks

I survived the typhoon as you might have imagined. In the end, it was a lot of rain and some crazy wind, but it was over in the morning and I was in the office by 11. The policy at work is that if the number 8 typhoon lasts past noon, then you don't have to go into work. But, alas, the storm passed and work resumed.
Because I am here "on business," I have not been able to do much exploring. I look forward to the weekend as the opportunity to see more, but in the interim I have still been able to enjoy some of the quirks of Hong Kong...

Toothpicks -
In my naievety, I has always assumed that toothpicks were a uniquely American phenomenon. They have always brought to mind a John Waynesque cowboy image. It turns out in Hong Kong, they are much more fond of toothpicks than I have ever know Americans to be. There are toothpicks on the tables at restaurants, and even toothpicks in the disposable utensils packet from a fast food place.









Lucky Numbers -

Chinese people are so concerned with lucky numbers (8 being the luckiest), that they will pay extra for a cell phone number with the right combination of lucky digits. The more 8's the better. Cell phone stores often post the numbers that they have available as a way to draw in customers. This is a store next to my apartment. I must say they have an excellent selection of cell phone numbers. I highly recommend it.






Urban Football -

Even in the concrete jungle, people can produce a proper pitch. This field is right in the middle of the busy city. It is busy every night with games being played long after I have gone to bed.

3 comments:

The Simpsons said...

i was looking on chrissy freemans blog and found you. Say hi to your family for me! Take care!
Shaleah Petersen

TeamTillman said...

The reason tooth picks are not used any more is we have evolved to floss and tooth paste. A much better solution. I think I saw my drivers license number and cell phone number on the phone board. It is ironic that you are under a underwear sign....makes you remember to wear them. Soccer at night. There is probably wrestling at night. You should not loose anything in your small room. Except maybe your mind. Stay dry.

Brandon, Liz, Katie, Alyssa, Bailey, and Cael said...

I love this blog, Dustin. Keep it coming. I'm also enjoying the TeamTillman comments -- a reincarnation of the "Book of Hank."
Liz