Sunday, June 22, 2008

Flying in Style


15 hours on a plane sounds awfully long. It turns out it is not that bad when it is on the company dime. I got to the airport early Sat morning and bypassed the line of travellers waiting to check in as I walked to the Business Class check-in. Three people later, I was off to security and as soon I was through the check, I had a quiet and comfortable place waiting for me in the first class lounge. When I boarded the plane, I was pleasantly surprised. Me seat sat diagonal to the aisle, giving me plenty of room to lounge and in fact, to recline into a flat bed. Time flies when you are comfortable, with plenty of music, movies, games and food. I was ready to continue straight on til Sydney.

After a quick trip through customs and baggage claim (my bag came out first of course) I was on my way into the city. I find a certain Irony in the fact that the apartment I am staying in is about the same size as my business class seat on the plane. Notwithstanding, I have all of the necessities (a bed, shower, and air conditioning) as well as a few perks (TV, Internet, stove). My apartment is in the most auspicious of locations. The front doors of the complex open up into one of the many open air markets selling just about everything you can think of.

I was fortunate enough to be able to meet up with Audrey, a friend from Columbia and fellow 8th ward alumnus. She sowed me around the neighborhood and showed me how to get to work in the morning. I am feeling at home already. Work starts bright and early tomorrow. If you need me, I will be in the apartment directly across from the "Under Wear" sign.

1 comment:

Brandon, Liz, Katie, Alyssa, Bailey, and Cael said...

Bucket, I am loving the blog already. It makes me feel like I am there. I am so excited for you.