
As is becoming somewhat of a tradition, Saturday's activities once again involved hiking and beaches (though this may be the last time as will be explained later). However, this weekend's adventure was actually one in which I was accompanied by others. I was invited by Andrew and Nicola to go on a hike that was being organized by Andrew and friends. We set off for the east side of the Island and hit the other side of the trail that I mistakenly found myself on a few weeks ago. The trail led us up and over the ridge, with a spectacular 360 degree view and eventually wound down to the beach. When we arrived at Shek-O, we got our proverbial "grub-on" with a spread of Thai and Chinese seafood dishes. After Lunch, Andrew, Nicola and I hung out on the beach as the others headed back to civilization. As Andrew and I threw a frisbee on the beach, we were interrupted by a loud speaker announcement in Cantonese then followed by English informing us that among other things, "saucer throwing is prohibited." And I thought we were the only ones doing it because we were Americans! As we later left the beach, I saw a series of rather disturbing signs, included below:

Starting off up the trail (stairs)

Hiking along the mountain ridge

This is Nicola Andrew and I. Friends from church, they have been good to me while I have been in Hong Kong.

Sign marking the peak.

This ridge line in the distance is where spent the bulk of the hike.

Water quality is a #3. Obviously no good can come from that.

Yes, a #3 polution amount means that you can expect 10-15 skim or gastrointestinal problems per every 1000 swimmers. There were at least 2,000 people that were in that water at some point during the day. You do the math. I am not good at counting e-coli but 181-610 per 100ml sounds bad.

And add to that they have to use a shark net. Ecoli bearing sharks. Awesome.
1 comment:
The saying "I won't swim in your tolet if you don't pee in my bay" comes to mind.
Post a Comment