Saturday, July 5, 2008

Putting the Patriot in ex-patriate

Over the past six years, I have spent the 4th of July in New York, New Jersey, Texas, and now Hong Kong. It was definitely strange working on Friday, the 4th, as if it were any other day. I was fortunate to have been invited to attend a 4th of July bash that was being put on by a fellow member of the American diaspora. The theme was red white and blue. Anticipating that I would not be able to return home, I anxiously packed my red Nike USA t-shirt into my bag before I left the house. When we arrived (my companions to the party were an Indonesian from Singapore and a Chinese from Auckland), I was pleased to see burgers on the grill. But, remember this is Hong Kong, so of course those burgers were being cooked by the hired Filipino help. The party brought the best and brightest of the ex-pat community looking for a little taste of familiarity in this unfamiliar land. Although I knew no one, the sense belonging derived from discussing similar places and similar things was tangible. It is quite the eclectic group that comes to call Hong Kong their home away from home. The financial industry leads the majority of the people here, but in a few hours I met a professional card player from Holland, a person who worked in the US embassy, and an economics teacher, as well as a generous helping of bankers and traders from disparate locales.
About an hour into the evening, I realized that scene mirrored my first days in college. I was surrounded by people that were far away from their home. They have found themselves in a new place where, because no one knows them, they are given the opportunity to re-invent who they are and who they want to be. Alan Paul talked about this in depth for his column he writes for the Wall Street Journal entitled "The Expat Life" (it is an insightful and vivid depiction of living as an American in a foreign land. I hope he turns his series of articles into a book. The particular article I speak of is from November 9th 2007 entitled "Freedom to Try a New Tune." If you are a Journal subscriber, you can view it here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119452109287886425.html). Being away from the people who have known you for a long time allows a sort of freedom. When you are alone you are given the opportunity to make new first impressions. Perhaps even to do things you have never done before, or would never do if you remained in previous settings. Like the others, I found myself open to meet new people and oddly not uncomfortable in a situation in which I knew no one. I have spoke with many people who talk of their experience of living abroad and how the expat community can be a great support network. The innate need for some form of familiarity helps my to understand why immigrant communities exist in the form they do throughout the US. In the end, it was an enjoyable time of meeting new friends and collectively sharing our new experiences. I enjoyed the experience and though I did not come here to be constantly surrounded by other expats, I am grateful that they are there.

1 comment:

TeamTillman said...

When you are alone you are in bad company. It is great you got to meet others in your situation. How were the burgers?