Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Starting July off Right

Holiday...Celebrate...
Today was a holiday in Hong Kong. Known as Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day (just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?), the holiday is in recognition the day when Hong Kong was returned to China after 150 years of British control on July 1st 1997. Coincident with the holiday, the Hong Kong District had its temple day. The is some irony in the fact that on the holiday remembering Hong Kong being reassumed by the religiously oppressive China, hundreds of members in the hong Kong area descended upon the temple to serve and to worship. The holiday allowed many of the local Filipino sisters, many of whom work service jobs and rarely have time off, the opportunity to attend the temple. I was pleased to see that the temple was packed. It was an inspiring scene as many members were receiving their endowment for the first time.

Da Lang Wan
After the temple, the skies began to clear, and I realized that it had suddenly become a beautiful day. Of course, I ran up to my room, threw on my trunks and headed for the beach. Destination: Da Lang Wan (big wave bay) and the accompanying big wave beach. The journey took me to the east side of Hong Kong island. Much more sparsely populated then the western half, the Eastern part of the Island has a couple of large parks dotted with hiking trails. The first stop on my trip was the village of Shek - O and it's accompanying beach. Being a national holiday, and one of very few rainless days in the last 2 months, the beach was packed. After a quick Jaunt around the beach a swim in the still ocean water, I headed for Big Wave Beach. As one might expect from a tropical beach in the summer, the waves were closer to ripples. I was however pleased to find several skim boarders that were pretty impressive. Beachside, there were also a few little surf shops where boards could be rented for HKD 50 / day (about 6 bucks). The also had pictures to prove the surf does in fact pick up, particularly during typhoons.

Unintended Adventures
After a short stay on big wave beach, I began to climb the stairs that led up the side of the mountain. I was unsure where they led exactly, but there seemed to be several little huts along the trail, and it was a way to get a better view of the surrounding area. The trail led straight up the mountain. As I continued to climb, I wondered if there was in fact a destination, or if I was beginning something that I would not soon be able to complete. Unprepared for any serious hiking, I continued to power up the mountain in my flipflops, wearing nothing but trunks. About 3/4 of a mile in (all stairs), I found a sign that said the trail continued for a a mile in front of me to something called Collision cape road. I continued up the trail with a beautiful view of the bay behind me and of the cape collision correctional facility to my right. I cape collision road would be a place where I could pick up some form of transportation home, so I continued onward. Another half mile up the hill later I reached a lookout point with an amazing view of the beaches to one side, and of ChaiWan to the other. I continued on (this time down hill). I made it to an unpopulated road. With two choices, I decided to head toward the city. As I walked I came upon something I had never seen before. Set up upon the mountain was a massive series of monuments, presumably holding the ashes of cremated dead. This mountainside cemetery was the setting for the next mile of my journey back to the MTR station.


Night Market
After a quick shower and a change of clothes, I headed out to meet up with friends before we headed to the markets of MongKok on the Kowloon peninsula. The market was vibrant with shopkeepers peddling everything from knock-off designer jeans and purses to dog toys and chess sets. The markets are open everyday til midnight or so, and are a big tourist attraction. After a stroll through the markets and delicious Thai food, my day off comes to an end. I am left more enthusiastic about Hong Kong and excited for my next bit of free time to continue the adventure.

3 comments:

Hisashi said...

I was very impressed by your blog.Thank you very much.Please look at my blog.
URL http://kihukin.blogspot.com/

TeamTillman said...

A great day off. Comments: Temple Day-Did you listen in Chinese? At the beach -Did anyone say"Who is that very whte Honky"? You should practice your skim board riding so you are ready for the next typhon or random tsunami. Stairs - you found "the stairway to heaven"and were not denied. Why do all the prison have the best views...San Quinton...Alcatraz? The dead people have a great view too. Thanks for posting your pictures and comments.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I bet walking up all those stairs in a speedo caused quite the rash.