Hank has finally met the 18 month milestone! We have been counting down the days for several months, as 18 months is how old you have to be at our church to be able to go to nursery for the 2nd and 3rd hour. We made it! I feel like so much about Hank is changing still from week to week, and sometimes even day to day. His language is getting much better, and it's a welcome relief that he can tell us (most of the time) what's making him hurt or upset. There have been some funny/maddening moments where he repeats himself one hundred times and I STILL have no idea what's wrong, but it's getting better as time goes by. Hank's still not the clearest of speakers, but he does have a big vocabulary on his side when it comes to communication.
Hank thought he was pretty hot stuff at his 18 month check-up. Apparently, this is the visit where you can step on a scale (rather than sitting on the baby one), and check your height against the wall (instead of laying down on your back on the exam table). He even got to wear a gown, which made him giggle a lot - perhaps because he could see his bare backside in the mirror. Hank is now weighing in at 28 lbs. 9.6 oz (92nd percentile) and is 34.5 inches tall (96th percentile). The doctor is impressed with how active he is, and foresees some visits for stitches in the coming years (sadly, that's not the first medical professional to make that remark). He does have some awesome coordination skills on his side, though, so maybe we can bypass the ER for awhile I hope! He took his shot like a champ with a yelp of "Owie!" when the needle went in, but miraculously no tears at all! He certainly is a tough little dude.
Hank is starting to show some interest in dancing, which is super awkward and hilarious. His best move is the "Yahtzee roll", and his favorite song to listen to is "Let It Go" from Frozen or "Shower" by Becky G. I know, I know - having an older sister seems to influence his interests. I'm finding it hard to use a hair dryer because Hank LOVES it and wants me to blow his hair, belly, and back with warm air every time he sees it. Hank is getting so good at eating, and I marvel how much more willing he is to try new foods from week to week. His current favorite is blueberries (or "boo-aries" as Hank says it) and prefers those to pretty much anything, including cookies.
We grow to love Hank more and more each day. I'm so grateful for his awesome, outgoing, fearless, happy-go-lucky personality. He's the perfect addition to our family balance. I'm also so grateful that he and Lyla are the best of friends. I hope that friendship continues to blossom over the years and they remain as close and connected as they are now.

No comments:
Post a Comment