Lyla has been showing a lot of interest in cooking and baking lately. I am thrilled! Every night when she sees me start to cook dinner or bake some goodies, she'll run over to where I am and say "Mom, I put on my apron". She'll have me tie on her apron and have me set her right up on the counter so she can get an up close look at what's on the menu for the day. She loves tasting and smelling the ingredients and weighing in. I always like when I get "Mmmm, that delicious" from her. Last week when I took Lyla to the pumpkin patch, she asked about making a pumpkin pie, so we made one completely from scratch. We started with Lyla picking out the pumpkin of her choice from the baking pumpkins section at the patch:
When we got back home, Lyla immediately started asking when we could get started. Here she is before we hacked the pumpkin open and started scooping out the insides:
After scraping out all the seeds and "yucky" junk, we quartered the pumpkin and baked the pieces in the oven for an hour. After it finished cooking dinner and cooled down, we scooped the flesh out of each pumpkin section and pureed it in the food processor. We put the mush in a towel-lined strainer. The picture of the pumpkin puree doesn't look very appetizing, but Lyla sure was proud of the results:
After letting the puree drain off it's excess juices overnight, we were ready to bake! We made our pumpkin pie complete with our own crust. I must say, I was pretty pleased with the results! Lyla seems to be a good luck charm when she's helping me back, whether it's cake, bread, fudge, or pie. She was really excited to eat the pie, and she seemed happy with the tasty outcome as well. I hope her interest in cooking continues, as it would be nice if she could start cooking some family meals when she gets older!

No comments:
Post a Comment