I have been feeling like I really need to squeeze in as much time as possible with Lyla before the baby gets here. I know with a new baby, it's going to be harder to pick up and go places like we can when it's just the two of us. So, with that in mind, we hit up Ardenwood Farms this week to take a peek at their pumpkin patch and visit all the farm animals. I had been telling Lyla about how you can use a pumpkin to make lots of delicious treats, so when she saw all the pumpkins on the patch, she said "Mom, pumpkins - make pumpkin pie?" I have never personally attempted to make pumpkin pie truly from scratch by even cooking down my own pumpkin instead of using puree, but Lyla loves to watch me cook and bake, so I thought it would be a worthwhile experience. She loved looking at all the pumpkins and loved getting to pick out a "special cooking pumpkin" up at the front of the patch. It's the littlest things that Lyla seems to enjoy, and I love the excitement she brings to low-key events. She got a kick out of running as fast as she could through a corn maze, laughing every time we hit a dead-end, saying "Oh no! Let's go... THIS way!", and taking off running again in a different direction. After the pumpkin patch, we walked across the parking lot to the actual farm portion of the property. We were lucky that the train on the farm was running that day, and Lyla loved that we not only got to ride a train, but that it was pulled by a horse along a track, rather than being operated by coal or electric. She loved seeing all the animals, and, being that the farm was pretty deserted, the animals were all very eager for Lyla's attention as well. We packed a picnic lunch to enjoy outside, and enjoyed counting all the peacocks that came strutting past our picnic table. When I took her back home for her nap and was about to leave her room, she said "Mom, I had fun day." Thank you Lyla, for always knowing how to melt your mom's heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment