Dustin's Yosemite Backpacking Trip
We had planned a trip to get out to Yosemite to celebrate Lee Merrick's coming baby and it turned out he had to travel for work that weekend. Caleb Sandford and I decided to make the trip in his honor ;). Caleb did all the planning. He asked me if I had anything I wanted to take pictures of and I did a little research to figure out if I could get a good shot of the Milky Way arching over Half Dome. We settled on hiking up to North Dome. I should have been tipped off of what I was getting into when he said "We won't see a lot of people because only crazy people do this." The first part of our hike took us up 3,800 ft of elevation gain over 4 miles.
It was busy first leg but after we passed Yosemite Point, we had the rest of the mountain to ourselves as it was reserved for crazy people. Despite it still being April, the weather was great. We hiked through a few miles of snow but it was very comfortable.
We settled on a camp site that was pretty incredible and I was able to shoot this milky way shot less than a hundred yards from the tent.
All in we hiked 27 miles in 2 days. I was not well prepared for the rigor, but it was a ton of fun to get out and experience the beauty of this special place. Caleb was a fantastic guide and made the trip super comfortable/ easy. We were both grateful for Ellen and Kathy holding down the fort at home so we could do this trip.








No comments:
Post a Comment