Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lyla's First Movie Experience

Dustin and I have been talking about the possibility of taking Lyla to her first movie for a while now.  She seemed too young to sit through an ENTIRE movie in a movie theater, and I wasn't super willing to pay $20+ to find out.  However, a few weeks ago, Dustin and I left to go on a tour of the hospital that I'll be delivering at, and we left her with Dustin's dad, Hank.  I put on a movie for her to watch, and told Hank to just put her down for bed when she lost interest.  Well, I guess she sat completely still for the whole thing, as she was still awake when we got home.  :)  Shortly after, I got a free ticket to go see Monsters, Inc. in 3D.  I thought this could be a fun excuse to have a special mommy/daughter date night and take Lyla to her first movie.

I told her in the afternoon to pick up her toys because we were going somewhere.  She asked what we were going to do, and I told her it was a surprise and I'd let her know when we got there.  We pulled up to Chipotle and I told her we were going to eat some chicken tacos then go see "the monster movie" at the movie theater - she was so excited!  I figured I would spoil her, because this was the first time we'd done anything like this.  She was so great and rose to the occasion.  I swear, sometimes when I take her out it seems like I'm going out with a teenager, minus the moodiness!  We chatted through dinner, then took off for the movies.

As I went to pay for Lyla's ticket, I realized that since the movie was in 3D, she'd have to wear glasses the entire time.  I was worried she would just fidget with them or not want to wear them at all, but again, I was wrong.  She wanted to put those things on and wanted to wear them out of the theater!  She loved that we got popcorn to snack on for the movie, although it was pretty much gone by the time the previews were over.

She was enthralled with the whole experience, and was great about not talking during the movie - she even gave me a "ssh" with her finger up to her lips when I asked if she wanted to sit on my lap!  After the movie was over, I told her we could get a treat to finish our date.  She had a Frosty from Wendy's once before, and she seemed to really enjoy it, so I suggested that.  She agreed that a "Frosty the Snowman" would be great.  I can't believe how grownup my little one is becoming, and I'm so proud to get to call myself Lyla's mom.

No comments: