The year of 2012 brought us a very chatty Lyla, and with that, a lot of memorable phrases and interactions with her. I wanted to capture them as she said things that made me laugh, and I think I did a pretty decent job.
June 2012: We found a YouTube clip that was a parody of "Sexy and I Know It" with Elmo singing "I'm Elmo and I Know It". Lyla loved watching Elmo do his song over and over again. When we went home to Ohio for a few weeks, my sister decided to play the real version, "Sexy and I Know It" for Lyla to dance to, since she was just learning to really shake her booty. Days after she heard the real thing, she was sitting in the back of my mom's car, and out of nowhere started wiggling in her car seat singing "I'm sexy, I know it!". Suffice it to say, we never played that song OR the Elmo version for her again - too risky for her to belt that out in an inappropriate setting!
June 23, 2012: We went to visit to the San Francisco Zoo, and Lyla loved jumping around from exhibit to exhibit. When she wanted to move on from the kangaroo exhibit, she said "All done, kangaroo". This was repeated for corresponding animals from exhibit to exhibit. Also, while visiting the penguin exhibit, she got really excited and entertained, yelling "What you doing penguins?!"
June 25, 2012: Lyla had been pretty backed up, so I was closely monitoring her bowel movements. I asked Lyla if she had pooped after seeing her strain pretty hard, to which she replied "I go 'rrrr' (shaking her fists and making a strained face)... no poop".
July 29, 2012: What is it with this kid being backed up all the time?! After a long weekend in Montana for Shannon and Dylan's wedding and being rather irregular, Lyla finally managed to poop before getting on the airplane (thank goodness), and started yelling "I did it! I did it!" to a gate full of seated passengers in the Missoula airport.
August 2012: "I'll be... Right. Back." This is said while Lyla holds up her finger to signify that we need to hold on a minute. One of the first times we noticed she internalized and would repeat as appropriate phrases we often said to her.
August 2, 2012: While driving in the car, Dustin asked Lyla if she wanted to listen to the radio. In response, Lyla said "Yeah. Call me baby.", referencing her favorite song at the time "Call Me Maybe".
September 2012: Lyla started getting very complimentary this month. The cutest compliment she came up with was the day she started saying "Oooh. You look handsome daddy."
September 2012: Potty training Lyla brought on some memorable moments in the bathroom. When she wanted to get off the toilet, she would say "No peepee, no poopoo, no nufin'". This led into December's change in Lyla being able to describe her success in terms of measuring, such as "I have LITTLE pee-pee" or "I have lots and lots of poo-poos!"
September 21, 2012: Hank and Sherie had been working with Lyla on saying "see you later alligator" and "after while crocodile", but she never seemed to participate herself too much. As Lyla was leaving with Dustin, I said "See you Lyla!". Unprompted, she said "See you later alligator!"
September 24, 2012: Lyla was getting adjusted to being two, instead of one with her birthday the day before, but she didn't use the traditional two fingers used to signify two. My dad said she needed to work on making a peace sign and say "peace dude" to work on using the right fingers. I later asked Lyla how old she was, to which she replied, as she held up her fingers "Two. Peace dude."
September 30, 2012: After days of constipation (AGAIN!), Lyla grabbed Hank's hand and said "Paga, I need poo poo". When we asked her if Dustin or I could take her, she shook her head and said "No, just Paga". She proceeded to repeat this process three more times that evening. Hank became her official go-to #2 chaperone.
October 2012: Lyla seemed to start truly turning the corner and embracing and looking forward to going to nursery each Sunday. We would ask her each week when we picked her up what she did while she was there, to which she would say the same thing every week: "I play babies, I play bottles, I play phones". I've since confirmed that this is what she actually seems to be playing with each week, so I guess she tells the truth!
October 15, 2012: Lyla was playing by herself this morning and tripped over a pile of babies. She got up, and pointing at one particular doll, she said "Mom, that baby tripped me!" I thought this would be the start of tattling, but it hasn't gotten out of hand... yet.
October 29, 2012: After seeing a long printout of coupons that came out of the coupon machine at CVS, she held up the coupons and said "Wow, Mom! That's amazing!"
November 2012: One week, Lyla's friend Olivia got pretty sick, and so her mom and I had to cancel a play date they were supposed to have together. I had bought some cookie dough for Lyla and Olivia to help me make cookies. I explained to her that Olivia wouldn't be able to come over, but we could still make the cookies that she was looking forward to making. That night, when Lyla was saying her prayers, we heard "Please bless O-Libya (her best attempt at saying Olivia's name) feel better. Bless we bring her cookies." The following day she didn't forget that she prayed to bring her cookies, so we ended up baking cookies and taking them over - I'm sure that's what everyone who gets sick wants to eat, but Lyla thought it would help!
November 1, 2012: The first time we heard Lyla say "Oh my goodness!", followed days after with her saying "Oh, heavens!"
November 7, 2012: After reading the parable of the prodigal son to Lyla and asking her if she understood, she said "Yeah. I listen mommy and daddy. Repent. Say I'm sorry."
November 8, 2012: In the midst of Lyla playing with her dolls, she came up to me and said "Baby Bathtub (the name for one of her dolls) in timeout. She not eat her cake. Baby sit right here. Look at me. You know what you did? No? Okay. I love you. Kisses." This may have been my first time I had to consider if Lyla was internalizing my bad mommy moments as well as the good ones.
December 2012: We're not sure where this came from, but now Lyla's started saying "okay, that's cool", or "that's cool - let's do that, or, my favorite "WOW! THAT'S WAY COOL!"
December 5, 2012: Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Lyla's Tillman cousins introduced her to the viral video sensation "Gangnam Style". She loved learning the dance moves and partying along with her cousins. About a week later, I asked Lyla if she wanted to listen to some music, to which she replied "Mom, play whoop'em gangnam style".
December 6, 2012: As the time draws near for the baby's due date, Lyla has been talking about all the fun things she'll be able to do with her baby brother. I don't think she fully understands that he's going to be a tiny baby, not a playmate that's her size. However, this night she said to me "When Baby Hank comes out of your belly, he can sit next to me!" She's since also said she's going to share toys with him, dance with him, and take good care of him.
December 6, 2012: I've been telling Lyla sometimes that I can't hold her because I'm holding the baby; that's the best way I can think to explain to her that carrying the baby being pregnant makes it difficult to also hold her. I told her this day that I couldn't hold her right at the moment, and she said "Hold Baby Hank real tight, okay, Mom?" while patting my stomach. She must be really impressed that he hasn't dropped out if she thinks I'm holding him in there just like I hold her!
December 13, 2012: While we were FaceTiming with my sister, Emma, I quizzed Lyla on things we'd recently learned, which I usually like to do to see what she remembers. This particular night our conversation went like this:
- Me: Lyla, who's birthday is on Christmas?
- Lyla: Jesus!
- Ellen: Who is Jesus's mommy?
- Lyla: Mary!
- Ellen: Who is Jesus's daddy?
- Lyla: Um.... Pa? (meaning my dad)
December 13, 2012: Dustin was out of town and talked to Lyla on the phone about all the fun things they could do when he came home that weekend. Lyla got really amped up and said "Oh, that's exciting! Let's DO that!" when he said he would play babies with her.
December 15, 2012: Lyla always says interesting things when she says the prayer during our nightly family prayer together. This night, she said "Please bless mommy and daddy, parents kind and dear", referencing a line from "I Am A Child of God". Sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face when she gets going, but she's so sincere in what she says that it makes it mostly heartwarming.
December 17, 2012: As a Kelly Clarkson song came on the radio, Lyla yelled "Mom, it's KELLY!"
December 19, 2012: As I was getting ready to surprise Lyla with a special night out on the town for just her and I, I started the conversation with saying "Lyla, you're such a good girl." Lyla responded by giving me a hug and saying "Thanks mom, I really 'ppreciate that".
December 20, 2012: When Dustin came home from work, he asked Lyla where her elf, Boyd, was hiding that day. She pointed to the top of the fridge, and Dustin said "Oh, right here?" and had his hand way too close for Lyla's comfort. She said "Dad, don't touch Boyd! He lose his magic!", referencing the "Elf on the Shelf" protocol that if you touch your elf, he'll lose his magic. This night, while Lyla was saying her prayers, she said "Please bless Boyd be healthy. Please bless dad won't touch Boyd." We're starting to learn that Lyla's prayers are a good way to learn what's troubling her, and I guess she's concerned that her dad can't be trusted!
December 22, 2012: Dustin had been playing with Lyla a lot lately since he's been out of town so much. He's been a great sport about playing "babies" with Lyla. In the midst of one of their play sessions, Lyla said "You make a good mommy, daddy".
December 24 2012: Lyla and I spent the morning making cookies to put out for Santa Claus. Lyla asked if she could eat one, and I told her she could if she ate all her lunch. Of course, she ate all her lunch and chowed down on a cookie. She then asked for another one. As I hesitated on letting her indulge on MORE sweets, Lyla said, "But... it Christmas." Where she learned that from, I have no idea, but it worked and Lyla and I ate a second cookie.
December 24, 2012: Santa came to make an appearance at the Christmas Eve party at Dustin's Uncle David and Aunt Joan's house. As he came in, I had Dustin get close to Lyla in case she got upset. When Dustin said "Look, Lyla, it's Santa", she said "No, that Paga". No one can accuse Lyla of being slow to catch on!
December 27, 2012: Lyla's cousin, Sadie, gave Lyla a ballet outfit to have that she had outgrown. Lyla put it on, but wanted to pull the tutu up around her chest. We kept trying to tell her that's not where it went, but she kept it there. She then looked at Dustin and said "Dad, do you like it? Or not?" Already learning how to ask for second opinions when it comes to fashion!
December 31, 2012: I'm starting to hear a lot of "Daddy says..." Today, she said "Daddy says 'Focus! Focus!' My Daddy say that to me". Hmmm... :)
I'm really glad we captured most of the funny things Lyla said, although they're probably just funny to us since we know the full context. We're looking forward to a 2013 full of more hilarious Lyla-isms!
No comments:
Post a Comment