Monday, March 5, 2012

Bumps, Scrapes, Bruises... and Chipped Teeth

Lyla seems to be into EVERYTHING lately.  She runs full-tilt from morning until night.  She sleeps and naps great as a result BUT we've seen a LOT more accidents over the past few weeks.  She'll miss a step and smack her head or will not be looking and run right into a wall or door, both resulting in a massive bump, or scratch herself with her fingernails because she's too impatient to wait for her mom to wipe off her face, and there has been the general amount of scraped nose, hands, and knees from running too fast and falling down.  The past few weeks have led up to the worst injury to date for poor Lyla.  This weekend we all went to the hardware store to make some miscellaneous purchases for around the house.  Dustin and I stepped away a few feet from Lyla to check out some plants when we heard a crash followed by Lyla sobbing.  We comforted her and continued on with shopping.  She was a little fussier than usual, but we didn't think anything of it.  We came home and she ate a big lunch, then went down for a nap.  However, when I got her up from her nap and gave her an afternoon snack, I noticed something in her mouth was askew.  My stomach dropped as I told Dustin that I thought Lyla chipped her tooth.  Looking more closely in her mouth, it became apparent she actually chipped BOTH front teeth, and quite a big chunk was missing!  We were very close to panicking, but I called our dentist's office and had the receptionist page him.  He called us back and said he was out of town but would come to our house to check it out that night.  I know, we have a GREAT dentist!  He checked Lyla over (and she didn't even mind - very odd for her considering he was male AND a doctor) and said she missed hitting either of the nerves in her front teeth so nothing else needed to be done.  Dustin and I are a little distraught for our little baby, but decided we'll let her make the call on whether she wants to get them capped when she gets old enough to sit through it.  Considering she's going to lose those baby teeth by about the time she's 7, we might wait it out and just let them be, but talk about a horrible, traumatic experience for all!  Well, perhaps just horrible and traumatic for Dustin and I - Lyla doesn't even seem to notice it.  And, for the record, what a trooper for getting her teeth chipped and not really missing a beat!  For now, we'll just embrace our daughter's chipped-tooth smile as another endearing quirk.

No comments: