In early 2020 when I was in better shape and feeling ambitious, I agreed to run a Spartan "Beast" obstacle course race with Bret. The Spartan Beast is 14 miles, 4500 feet of elevation climb and 30 obstacles in the course that runs up and down the mountains at the Squaw Valley ski resort (home of the 1960 Winter Olympics). The original race was cancelled due to Covid and our registration got pushed to 2021. 18 months and significant lack of training later, I met Bret in Tahoe to tackle the Beast. I had low expectations for my performance and my expectations were about accurate. The race was a grind but it was fun to tackle it with Bret. I survive in what was an unimpressive 5 hour and 45 minute grind. Of the 30 obstacles, I failed about 5 of them requiring a 30 burpee penalty at each. I suffered through wall climbs, monkey bars, tire flips, rope climbs, sand bag carries and other ridiculousness to make it through the race. Notwithstanding the sub par result, it is always a worthwhile adventure to meet up with my brother and do something together.





No comments:
Post a Comment