Thursday, August 19, 2021

Mom's Stress Fracture

Back in the Spring I was out running with Rey when it felt like something in my left foot burst.  I was able to keep moving and I wasn't in pain, so I thought I'd just take it easy for a few weeks.  Life went on, I kept going like normal, but I had a few more "burst" sensations in my foot and started to notice my left foot was increasingly painful/sore on the days I walked a lot.  Mother's Day weekend, Grammy noticed I was limping quite a bit, then during the week my friend Cecilie noted the same thing.  I brushed them both off saying it was always fine until the next morning.  

Of course, the day after I said that my foot wasn't better the next morning.  I went into Urgent Care and they didn't find anything, but had me schedule follow up with the Podiatrist.  Their office called and said that I needed to come in first thing Monday morning.  I went in to find I have an extra bone in my foot, or an "accessory bone", and it was cracked straight through.  The burst I initially felt was most likely the bone cracking and causing shifting in the surrounding tendon.  Because the bone is wrapped in a tendon and well hidden in my foot, it wasn't causing crazy pain when I walked on it but it was affecting the surrounding tendon hence all the discomfort and limping.  

I got put in an aircast boot for 2.5 months and fitted for custom orthotic inserts.  I went through my shoe collection and had a lot of pairs I had to part with because of poor arch support.  I slowly transitioned into orthotics, and at my check-up at the end of July I was told the bone was well on it's way to being fully healed, but it will take another 2-3 months before it's likely to be fully back to normal.  I was released from the aircast and although I'm still on restricted exercise, I can move like I did before and resume that level of activity.  I'm relieved!  Here's hoping the bone heals sooner rather than later, and I also can't believe I survived my first post-shutdown summer with a boot on!

 





No comments: