Saturday, September 26, 2015

2015 HERS Keep Abreast 5K Walk

FIVE YEARS people.  We've been participating in this walk/race for five years - half a decade!  It's been such a blessing to feel more established in the community and feel like we have roots somewhere.  Granted, we've felt this way about Fremont for a long time, but it's nice to have little traditions like this one to know we're here to stay (for the foreseeable future).

This year was a bit different for us.  I just cleared to exercise the week of the race, so I wasn't quite in shape enough to run a 5K.  Dustin hasn't run much since he finished the marathon at the end of last year.  And we have a newborn.  We debated letting Lyla have the option to walk the 5K with me, and she was really excited to do it when asked.  This somehow snowballed into ALL of us walking the 5K, even Hank, with Jack being carried by Dustin or I.  We did a practice walk two weeks before just to make sure this was a feasible plan.  The practice walk went great, so we were ready to commit everyone (including Maga) to walk the entire 3.1 miles together.

I'm proud to say that everyone finished the walk with no whining and no one being carried (except Jack).  Hank and Lyla were really proud of themselves (and they totally should be!), but they were pretty worn out after the race.  Poor Hank didn't even make the car ride home before he fell fast asleep.  I'm not sure we'll make all doing the 5K together an annual thing, but I'm really proud of the kids and their awesome physical stamina AND their good attitudes.  A good day for the Tillman Family.



No comments: