Friday, January 4, 2013

Daddy Daughter Date Night

Guest Post - Dustin



"Wear a handsome jacket daddy"
I don't write on the blog very often, but I wanted to share about my evening with my sweet little girl. Ellen's friends from church threw her a baby shower tonight, so I got home early to spend the night with Lyla. When I got home, I told Lyla I was going to take her out to dinner. I went back to my room to change and she advised me to wear "a handsome jacket." Though Lyla is usually quite adventurous with food, despite my variety of offerings, she wanted a hot dog. While I had envisioned going to a decent restaurant, it was lady's choice and to Kasper's Hot Dogs we went.

I am so impressed by Lyla. Though barely two, she carries herself so well. As we sat down to eat her hot dog, she asked "how was your day daddy?" It is amazing to me that we just sit, have dinner and talk. People that see her always do a double-take because she talks so well, but is so tiny. She eats it up and loves to talk to other people when we are out.

Me: Do you want to go to a nice restaurant for our date?
Lyla: No, I want a hot dog.

This kid can eat
After hot dogs, we had to go for ice cream, so we finished the evening with gelatto from Sweet Orchid. I let Lyla try a few things and pick out her own flavor, then chose one for myself. When we got home to eat the ice cream, Lyla wanted to try my Cilantro-Lemon Sorbet. After tasting it, she decided that she preferred mine to her vanilla gelato so we traded.


Cilantro-Lemon gelato

As we are on the verge of our family receiving a new member, it was fun to go out with Lyla and see how much she has grown. I was a little jealous when Ellen took her out to the movie a couple weeks back, so it was fun to have some similar alone time. We are incredibly blessed to have Lyla in our family and are excited to see her take on a new role as a big sister.

No comments: