There are so many great causes out there, but Dustin and I have a few that are special and more personal for us. Below are some charities and organizations we're proud to support in a variety of ways:
Teach For America: This one is a huge part of my life. I joined the 2007 Teach For America - Connecticut corps and taught for two years in Bridgeport. After teaching, I worked in Development for the Connecticut regional office. Once I had Lyla, I quit working to stay home full-time. It was hard feeling disconnected from the movement, especially since we moved to California. The past several years we've become more closely engaged by taking part in the Sponsor A Teacher program. Pictured here is our sponsored teacher, Jailyn, from this school year. We love being able to hear about the hard work that goes on here in the Bay to closing the achievement gap.
Alameda County Library Foundation: I've always loved books, and the kids share the same passion as me. I don't know what we'd do without libraries and it's so important that they get the funding they so desperately need to keep their doors open for everyone to enjoy a good book at no cost. The ACLF is a great way to say thank you for all the amazing free resources they provide for the community.
Ardenwood Parent Teacher Association (PTA): I knew I wanted to be really involved with my children's schooling. Having a bit of experience as a teacher, I know how difficult it can be to meet all the demands that are placed on them. Being a mom, I feel an obligation to making their public school experience safe, successful, and nurturing. As a community member, I want to build relationships with my neighbors and build bridges for friendships in working side by side with them. This year I've served as the Recording Secretary, chaired Spiritwear, Dragon Dash (bi-annual fundraiser), Founder's Day (PTA member appreciation ceremony) and Teacher Appreciation committees, and helped out with MAZE Day and Yearbook committees as well. I love having an organization where I can donate my time and skill set as opposed to just handing them a check. It's been a challenging year, but truly fulfilling as well.
Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco: This is a charity we've been involved with on and off for the past several years. Dustin has a work colleague that's deeply involved and successfully brings us in for their incredible and inspiring event they do each year. It's amazing to see the time and effort so many people put in to give low-income communities' children and teens a safe, enriching environment to thrive in after school and on the weekends. Any organization that is committed to bettering the lives of children (especially those that need our help most) is an honorable cause and one we will always happily contribute to.
Abode Services: This organization has been one we've gotten really creative with in contributing to. Those who know me know I love a good deal. I started my partnership with them finding incredible steals on higher-value items that don't go on sale too much (small home appliances, towels, bedsheets, book bags, etc.) and donating them for families staying both in the shelter and those transitioning to more stable housing. We've (myself and the kids) done some super couponing and gotten many toiletries, medicine, makeup and food items for little or no-cost and donating as well. I organized a service activity for our church's youth group to babysit children of those attending the shelter's weekly parents meeting. It's been special to have the kids involved in helping out, and it's been eye-opening and educational for them to realize that they are so lucky to find themselves in their current circumstances and that we have an obligation to help those not as lucky as us.
Fremont Education Foundation: This is a new one for us! Given our passion for education and helping out locally, this became a recent new highlight for us. FEF is dedicated to enhancing educational opportunities for all students at Fremont Unified Schools by increasing community support and involvement.
Beat the Streets: Of course Dustin is super passionate about wrestling and I am pretty fond of the sport as well. Beat the Streets teaches inner-city youth the sport of wrestling through high-quality volunteer coaches and provides them with free opportunities to participate in camps, tournaments, and special events. Dustin got to attend the New York chapter's annual wrestling event and benefit. It was a great experience for him to be able to capture some unreal shots and see lots of old friends. Best of all, it's a treat for him to see some of the amazing things wrestling can do for youth.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: We ultimately spend the most time volunteering within our religion serving on various callings that are extended to us. Currently, I'm the Young Women's President and serve our ward's girls ages 12-18. Dustin is serving on our stake (the stake oversees several ward units) High Council and is working closely with our stake's Chinese Branch. It's been great for me to revisit my youth and a rewarding experience for Dustin to brush up on his rusty Chinese. It does take up quite a bit of our time, but it's made ourselves and our family feel so whole, complete, and truly happy.
There are so many other organizations and causes that pull at our heartstrings, but these seem to be the ones we're most closely involved with for the past few years. I hope we can always find new ways to serve and contribute to our communities, and I really wish that our kids carry on in finding the important work that needs to be done and doing something about it.


No comments:
Post a Comment