Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

I was so looking forward to Memorial Day Weekend this year, because I felt like we needed an extra day with Dustin home to get on top of things with the house.  I feel like so much was crammed into this weekend that it's hard to remember what all we did!

Friday evening I dropped off the kids at Hank and Sherie's for a "Maga/Paga Sleepover", as Lyla says, and I went in to San Francisco to meet Dustin so we could celebrate our six-year anniversary.  We started off with an AMAZING dinner at Frascati, and then just aimlessly wandered around for a little bit to work off our dinner before checking into the Fairmont Hotel for the night.  It was such a nice hotel!  We decided to stay in the city to get a relaxing, good night's sleep.  Ironically, we were in a hotel room right next to the elevator and next to a room with an angry toddler so we slept about as good or less well than usual.  It was still really nice to have a little getaway and spend some time together as a couple.  The next morning we tried hard to be lazy and lounge around, then headed over to Absinthe for brunch.  As if we weren't stuffed enough, we followed it up with trying out some ice cream at Smitten.  All the places we ate at were chosen based on recommendations from Dustin's co-workers; let me just say, they have excellent taste!



Absinthe


We headed back to reality and picked up the kiddos and got down to errand-running/household chores business.  Lyla got to help Dad was the car for the first time, and she loved the experience.  I'm really happy that Lyla loves being helpful and is always willing to lend a helping hand.  As we continued to grind through our to-do list, we needed Lyla to entertain Hank for us, and she happily obliged.  Those two are a great combo - Hank is fairly low-maintenance and is happy with anyone paying attention to him, and Lyla tries her hardest to make him happy.



Sunday morning we dressed the kids up in some red, white, and blue gear... and sunglasses.  Lyla is reaching the age where she really likes accessories with an outfit - I don't think she's met an accessory she doesn't love.  Of course, if Lyla is getting hats and sunglasses, Hank should probably get some too, right?  After a great morning at church, the kids and I relaxed at home while Dustin had marathon of meetings after church.  Our friends, the Bracketts, invited us over for a delicious dinner that evening.  I love being able to go somewhere, enjoy great food and great company, and have other people want to hold and play with my kids!  It was a great way to spend the evening.




Monday we got back to errand-running and getting stuff done around the house.  We started off, though, with Lyla and I going to Sherie's exercise class.  I haven't been since the day before Hank was born, and I miss going!  We took advantage of Dustin being able to stay home with Hank and got a great workout in. I'm impressed that Lyla is lengthening the amount of time she can work out with all the ladies before she loses interest.  Afterward, it was back to business at the house!  Although we ran around most of the day, we did end up with quite a few things done (and even threw in a quick shopping trip!).  Monday evening we had a great dinner at Hank and Sherie's house, followed by Lyla's first venture into kite flying.  Lyla loves her new kite and I foresee many more outings to use her new kite.




This weekend felt like a whole WEEK's worth of activities - but we needed to get caught up!  Here's hoping we get a little relaxation time during this week!

No comments: