True, I have already been out of Thailand for over a week, but I didn't get ample time to finish writing, and I was waiting to get a few pics from Kinney, thus I will finally finsh my Thailand posts.
Tuk Tuk - the only way to fly
While in Bangkok, I discovered the joy that is riding in a tuk tuk. You remember the Tuk Tuk chase scene in everyone's favorite Thai movie Ong Bak (if you haven't seen the movie, rent it). Before arrival I was pumped about riding the Tuk Tuk, but in the first morning we were there, the Tuk Tuk driver was trying to scam us, and I was a bit annoyed. Later that evening, I got my first taste of Tuk Tuk, and as they say, "once you go tuk tuk..." Tuk Tuks are loud and generally uncomfortable, but most of the drivers are cool, and it is uniquely Thailand. I had so much fun with the Tuk Tuks that as I was returning to the airport, I decided to see if I could get a Tuk Tuk to take me there. After being denied a couple times, I found a brave soul who was willing to take the adventure. It is about an hour to the airport, and these are purely in-town vehicles. The driver was laughing the whole time. He said to me "I have been driving Tuk Tuk for 4 years and no one has ever asked to go to the airport!" While in route, he answered his cell and talked for a while. Laughing, he turned to me and handed me the phone, "he doesn't believe me. Tell him where you are going." I answered the phone and told the guy I was en route to the airport and he started cracking up. Without knowing it, I was making this man a legend among tuk tuk drivers. As we got closer to the airport and further outside the city, people began to stare, then they began to laugh, then they began to wave. When I got off at the gate, the driver left me his phone number telling me to give him a call and he would pick me up at the airport the next time I come through town.
Everyone wants to drive Tuk Tuk
Almost to the airport
Legend
1 comment:
I think I should get a Tuk Tuk for driving around Fremont. Mom would look good driving one. I am sure you made that driver a ledgend. I wonder if he made it back to where he was from? How much did that ride cost you?
Post a Comment